Monday, December 27, 2010

Acknowledge and Reward the Good Job Being Done!

Of course we all like to receive recognition and a little praise for a job well done, even if it is our "job".  What is wrong with that?  Do you think an individual who is given that attention might even do better at a job they are already doing so well at?  Certainly.  Praise and acknowledgment are great morale boosters and in this day with all the problems individuals face, boosting morale is often a necessity and it is a simple thing to do!

Not to long ago, I was checking out at a popular box store here, and I was listening to what the cashier was telling the customer in front of me.  She was explaingin how she has many of the product code numbers memorized and can just enter them manually without scanning them, items like cases of soda, things like that.  I was impressed!  I didn't think any cashier memorized those numbers anymore in the instant scan era of shopping!  When it was my turn, I started talking to her about it and how impressed I was.  She has been a employee there for many years, and she was not at all appreciated or recognized for her skills and dedication for  her job!  I got her name and promised I would call the store and give a good report to them about this valuable employee!  I did just that....however, when I got someone in customer service, they could not get a manager to come to take the phone call....  I gave the report to the customer service person.  I had a pretty good idea that is as far as it would get!  The next time I was at the store, I checked out with the same girl.  I asked her is she had been told I had called, she said no she had not.  I assured her that I did call and give a good report on her and she was very appreciative of that.  What a shame that an excellent employee is ignored like that, and not given even just an "Atta girl" or something!  Her morale was low, just as it was the first time we talked, but my appreciation of her good work did cause a little spark in her, a little smile, a little twinkly in her eyes...she deserves much more. 

I have told myself since that incident, that I am going to make sure a manager is told directly by me when I have a good report to give about an employee.  Of course!  I hunt down the manager is I have a negative report to give so why would I not try just as hard to give a good report to a manager, I should try even harder! 

These workers, wherever they are, whatever they are doing, are few and far between, who take their jobs seriously and put all they have into them.  They need to be appreciated, acknowledged and rewarded for their excellence!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment